Short-Term Memory

 It's weird how I can remember some random bits and pieces of things that happened during ECT (or before and after). I remember at work one day, someone asking about why I had been out on disability so much and I told her about ECT. I said it was nice to meet her, and she said "we've worked together a few times now" so I apologized and explained that ECT had caused some problems with my memory. She asked me:
"long-term or short-term?"

I was extremely confused. My brain could not understand those words. I asked her what she meant?

"Are the problems with long-term or short-term memories? What kinds of problems?"

I was still confused.... "what is the difference?" (looking back, I'm sure she thought I was a complete idiot)

She explained and I said, "I guess both are problematic."

I have replayed this conversation many times and thought "I wonder how many other times I sounded like a complete idiot and don't remember. How many people think I'm just stupid and shouldn't be allowed outside." It haunts me.

I gave up a long time ago on getting back the lost memories. I taught myself to play piano again, I have read my blogs and journals, and I have asked questions of my loved ones about my past. But I will never get those memories back. I hate it, but I accept it.

However, the short-term memory problem is so frustrating. I can read a book, and tell someone how much I liked it, but if asked what it's about, I can't answer. Same with a movie. Jason and I watched a movie Saturday night, and I loved it, but have NO recollection of the story line, just some basic scenes that I found funny. Jason made a reference and I was so confused, until he said, "from the movie last night" and then it clicked. But I didn't remember it on my own.

It is hard when I used to be so good at memorizing facts and figures, equations and phone numbers, addresses, and more. But now I can't remember something I read or saw a few days ago. I feel so stupid. But I never talk about that frustration. Nobody will understand, and those that I would talk to are so tired of my complaints about ECT that it's not worth bringing up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jail Time

Dawnie

My Daddy and Crazy Lady