Dad's Budget

 Dad is an over spender. He always has been. I remember my parents arguing about it, and when I cleaned out their home to move in, I saw all his useless purchases piled around the house. Often, several of the same thing. This is why he's filed bankruptcy, and why Brandon and I have put him on a strict budget. He gets to cash one of his 3 checks, for dates and activities and such with Dawnie. He pays me rent. He also gets another $100/week for groceries at Dawnie's house. This is way more than he needs, but she is a bigger spender than he is, especially on groceries and dog food.

Since I started locking his card so he can't use it other than necessities (copays, bills, home repair {always for her!} etc.) he has called me at least twice a week to ask if I will unlock it for a purchase he "has to have". I point out that's what the cash is for, and he has either used it up or it's not enough or he doesn't think he should have to use the cash. The hardest part for him is giving up that control. He has gotten mad at me several times. He always asks for a little leeway/leniency and I can't give it. I keep reminding him that's what got him into trouble in the first place. 

This has been less than a month now. It started when he spent $400 in a week on groceries, date nights, her bills, and vitamins (vitamins he shouldn't even be taking with his kidney problems).

I get so frustrated and discouraged. I don't like being the "bad guy" in his eyes. I'm not being mean; I'm trying to save him from more financial destruction. He still owes his friend $3,000!! But he thinks he has to pay for everything with her. Even if she doesn't ask (which she does.... even though he claims she doesn't)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jail Time

Dawnie

Summary of system failures